This one-day course is designed for any healthcare professional with an interest in learning recognition, assessment and management of the deteriorating patient. The aim of this course is to highlight an awareness of how to recognize deterioration in patients; how to assess them and the appropriate management to initiate.
At the end of the course participants should be able to:
• Demonstrate a systematic approach to assessment using ABCDE (Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability, Exposure)
• Demonstrate mechanisms of SBAR (Situation-Background-Assessment-Recommendation)
• Appreciate the importance of taking structured history and performing a targeted physical examination
• Prioritize actions in dealing with an acute event
• Demonstrate understanding of the management of underlying illness